Saturday, July 13, 2013

Slow down

I'm training to run in a 10k or a half marathon this fall.. I haven't made up my mind which one yet :)
Training was going great until I ran too far too fast too soon and ended up with calf strains.
Ya, it was a bummer. (I'll just say that I learned my lesson!)
Anyway the reason I'm saying all of this to set the scene for my experience this morning.

I decided the night before that this was the morning to cut the lazy and get up early.

I slept in my running gear (highly recommended if motivation is lacking!) and for the first time in forever, was actually able to roll out of bed at 6 a.m. (I don't know about you, but the "rolling" part is always the hardest :)
After stretching and whatnot (used to think it was silly to stretch... now I'm a big fan!) I "hit-the-road-running".

Picture taken in 2010 by Megan Froese

I was immediately blasted with beauty.
The sun was rising and there was a settled mist across the eastern horizon.
The only sound that could be heard was a few birds that were singing in the trees, and my shoes hitting the gravel as I ran.
The air was refreshing.... and I felt refreshed!

Since I'm still in the process of recovery, I had to take it slow.
But because of that, I didn't have to concentrate on breathing, or focus on putting one foot in front of the other.
I was able to enjoy each and every step because I felt the freedom to release my focus from the jog and soak up the beauty of not just the morning.... but also of the Creator of the morning.

I usually spend my runs constantly checking my Garmin for pace and distance, but because I wasn't trying to break any speed records, I was also able to soak in the silence.
Silence of the morning, and the silence of my thoughts and heart.

Words to verses of this songs came pouring out of my mouth and I meant them with my heart.

Great is thy faithfulness, GREAT is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness Lord unto me!

My head felt so clear and my heart was so full of gratefulness.
The miles went by faster then they ever have as I enjoyed fellowship with my God.

And now... my question to you all is this.....
Are you too busy in your life trying to break speed records that you don't have time to slow down and really enjoy all that God has put in front of you?
I know that I had been, and I really didn't know what I was missing.

Try taking it slow for a few moments in your day today.
Don't wait until you are forced to slow down like I was, take the time now and just enjoy Him.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Great post!

Pastor T said...

AWESOME! Love it

White Orchid said...

I like to run. I used to think I could never.

Another battle I faced was getting up early in the summer. But the sunrises and the quiet were so worth it. It clears so many cobwebs out of the mind.

What do you do in the winter?

Breathe Deep said...

Jane ~ Yes, getting up early to run in the summer time is defiantly a challenge for me as well!
What do I do in the winter? In a word... Treadmill. I would like to run outside, but the reality is that it is either to cold, to dark or we are playing hockey during free time. This year I'm upping the intensity (higher incline... faster speeds) in hopes that I will be more ready to just hit the road running come spring.
Thanks for your comment!
Jennifer