Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Resolutions

Photograph credit: Joanna Froese


Well folks, it is here.
2014.
Yesterday I tossed the idea of writing a resolution post back and forth in my head. I love writing resolutions for the new year, but usually more on a private, personal level, not sharing them with anyone (much less on the internet).
I also had reservations because I feel that one shouldn't start trying to become a better person only beginning on a certain day. (Monday, the new year ect.) But rather should always, everyday be striving to be a better version of who God made us to be.
But one of my new resolutions is to become more real. And what better way to kick off that real-ness... than to write a blog post about how I want me to look like this year.
So here we go...

Personal Resolutions:

{Resolution 1}
To become more resolute.
resolute |ˈrezəˌloōt; -lət|adjectiveadmirably purposefuldetermined, and unwavering 

When I dig deep within myself, I find a lack of determination. I dream big, but then tend to fail in long term execution. When it gets too hard, I quit.
I want to work on deciding to do something, then following through until the finish.

{Resolution 2}
To beat low self-esteem.
self-esteemnounconfidence in one's own worth or abilities; self-respect 

Not in a prideful way that says "I love me" but rather "I love who God has made me to be".
Not the attitude of "I can do anything" but rather "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".
There was a time in my life where I constantly needed human approval to be confident or satisfied with anything that I did or said. It is an area of my life that I have already approved in, I would just like to take it to the next level and beat it!

{Resolution 3}
To take more advantage of writing inspiration.
inspiration |ˌinspəˈrā sh ən|nounthe process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, esp. to do something creative
Especially when it comes to this blog. There are so many times during my day (especially late at night, when I'm running, and when I am milking) that I will have this "inspiration moment" and I'll write an entire blog post in my head. But time gets away from me, and I'll either forget about it, or when I finally sit down to write, the moment is gone and I lose the words.
I didn't know where those "moments" came from until I had the idea to write a post that I had titled "Just Do It".
I was going to act on it (as to be non-hypocritcal) then write it, but as I already explained often happens... it all slipped away.
A couple of weeks later our Pastor preached a message titled the same and it was pretty much exactly what I had wanted to say in my post (just much more detailed, researched and scripturally based of course :).
It was then that I realized that perhaps that "inspiration" was not just coming from my lively brain. Maybe I had missed God's moment to work through me.
This resolution is to work on not missing it.

{Resolution 4}
To become a runner.
runner |ˈrənər|nouna person who runs, esp. in a specified way.• a person who runs competitively as a sport or hobby
I want to compete in a 5K, 10K, Half-marathon as well as a full marathon.  I want to increase training intensity (WITHOUT injury!!), do cross training, speed training, run hills. I'm even considering a runner's diet.
I want to become a runner.

{Resolution 5}
To read God's word and spend time with Him every day.
everyday |ˈevrēˌdā|adjective [ attrib. ]happening or used every day; daily• commonplace 
Pastor T just preached a sermon a couple weeks ago about how we need to make room in our every day for the One who ought to be the King of our everyday lives.
My goal, above everything else is to put Him first this year, as well as every year for the rest of my life.

Blogging resolutions:

{Resolution 1}
To become more real.
real 1 |ˈrē(ə)l|adjectiveactually existing as a thing or occurring in fact; not imagined or supposed used to emphasize the significance or seriousness of a situation or circumstance Philosophy relating to something as it is, not merely as it may be described or distinguished.true or actual
It's not very often that I open up and really expose my true feelings. I want to share more of who I really am with you all this year. To be vulnerable and share some of what I struggle with, things that I have overcome. I don't want to be a complainer, but I also want people to be able to relate with me and my life.

{Resolution 2}
To blog every day for one month of this year
This would be a really tough one for me, but I believe that it would be easier for me to be more real, if I had to blog every day in my very real life.

{Resolution 3}
To pick an month in which I post a picture with myself in it every day.
To coincide with becoming more "real" as well as kicking that low self-esteem. I've always loved it when photographers take up that challenge to post a picture of themselves every day. I'm no photographer... but I love a good challenge :)

There are more resolutions that I have for this year, including the typical "lose weight and get fit". But I'll spare you.
At the end of this year, (unless I don't have access to internet, the Lord comes back, or I'm dead :) I'll do a follow-up of each resolution in detail.

That's it that's all!
Oh, one more thing.
It was my big brother in-law's birthday a couple days ago (Happy birthday Henry!!), my sweet Grandma's birthday yesterday (Happy birthday Grams!!!), and my big brother's birthday today (Happy birthday Josh!!) 


Happy New Year Everyone!!!

1 comment:

Kaitlin W. said...

Aw, Jen, you're awesome. :)

I can relate to several of these, but Vulnerability has always been difficult for me. And it still is. But whenever I allow myself to open up to a person I trust, whether by sharing my honest opinions (ha you've been subject to some of those) or my deepest fears and most shameful secrets, there I find acceptance and belonging. And there, my self-worth is able to heal, so to speak. Knowing that others accept me as I am, imperfect, is powerful. (Not that I'm extremely self confident or anything at this point. Haha. I'm really just learning the importance of vulnerability, and trust doesn't come easily to me, so...)

What you wrote about "becoming real" made me think of a book study a friend and I did a couple years ago on that topic. I had read the author, Brennan Manning, as a teenager also, and had found in him a spiritual mentor of sorts. He recently died. But his books were probably the most positively impactful of any sermons I've heard or read. I don't know if you'd like him or not, but from this post, I kind of think you might enjoy some of his insights. I can recommend Abba's Child (some editions have a study guide with scripture readings, which is what my friend and I used) and The Ragamuffin Gospel.

I can't remember which book contains it (maybe both-- Ragamuffin in detail, I think), but his story of finding God involved replacing his overwhelming need for human approval with something better, basically. That part spoke to me quite a bit, when I first read it. And is another reason your post reminded me of it.

Anyway, I look forward to reading some of your inspired posts in the future. ;)