Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Ocean Dreams


I'll never forget that first moment in which I experienced the ocean. Walking along trails with the family in the dark, nervous laughter when we realized what kind of wild animals could be watching us as we made our way down unfamiliar paths. We had already been able to hear the ocean when we arrived at our campsite, and it continued to become louder and louder as we made our way closer.
As it was almost dark when we arrived, we couldn't see much of anything. But we could hear the beauty.
There was a sense of terrifying yet amazing power as we listened to the low tide waves rolling onto the beach.
If ever I desperately desired daylight, it was then. I wanted to see this thing that tugged and pulled at my other senses.

The next morning I woke early and on the way back from a trip for two to the washroom, Mikaya and I shared the moment of beholding this wonder for the first time.

The sun rising over the horizon of endless blue sea.
God's canvas of colors filled the sky.
Birds running back and forth in time with the waves, eating their breakfast in the wet sand.
We stood staring, listening, breathing deeply the salty air.
The sounds reminded me of thunder continuously crashing. I wrestled with feelings of an awe inspired fear and an overwhelming fascination. The knowledge of how small we are and how big God is became reality in that moment as I took in the vastness and power of the ocean in front of me.
God's power, right before my eyes.

Those three days that were spent almost continually on the beach, were among the most amazing in my entire life.
I had imagined what it would be like to run along the beach, to play in the waves, to search for treasures while wading through the swelling waters.
But the mind didn't comprehend the spiritual aspect.
Experiencing for the first time the powerful beauty that God created.
Seeing His creatures playing in the waves.
Running alongside the beach with reckless abandon, freedom flowing through my veins.
Standing in the ocean watching the waves rise above my head, then crash down and sweep my bodily self to the shore.
Power and love. So gentle, yet so strong.
God's beauty and power personified.

Since we entered back into the country that we call our home, I think often about our ocean adventure.
The experience frequents my dreams. I never did dream about the ocean until I had been there.
Whether it be running, running and running along the sandy beach, seeing a blue whale surface in the water or being bitten by a shark... I still wake up happy whenever I see, hear, or feel the ocean in my sleep's thoughts.

How I wish to be there again.
Someday.


2 comments:

Mandy said...

Beautiful writing!

~ McKenzie Elizabeth~ said...

So beautifully written, Jen! Loved it. <3