Tuesday, October 3, 2017

A Story of God's Goodness

Introducing my boyfriend...
Reuben Penner.
We are Ben and Jen.



Oh golly.
Where do I even begin?

These past couple of months have been, well... I'm sitting here trying to think of a word to describe how it has been, but I can't think of one. 
Amazing? Crazy? Incredible? Mind Blowing?
Those words just don't seem like enough.

God has answered every single prayer.
He has bountifully exceeded every and any expectation that I have ever had.

So many days I have stopped a moment and just marveled at all He has done. How He has woven this story together, making His will so obvious.

Anyway. 
This story is a new one, hot off the press if you will. We are still in the beginning stages of our relationship. But if you know anything about courtship, you know that the sole purpose of it is to get to know someone with the intention of marriage. It is not something that is entered into lightly, or without many prayers to search out God's will.

So, with that out of the way, would you like to hear the story?
Here goes...


First 'official' Date;
September 22, 2017


It all began one spring day in April.
And when I say it all began, I mean this was the day that we both noticed each other. Prior to this, we hadn't thought about each other at all. It was God's timing, and you will soon see that His perfect timing is woven throughout the journey that we were on to finding each other.

Our farm had decided that it was time to downsize on cows. And it so happened that Reuben was in the market to buy cows. 
Of course, I was involved in the selling of our cows, because... cows are my thing. :) I realize that I have just said the word "cows" about three to many times. Forgive me, but cows are kind of important in this story. :)
For me, it was just a passing thought. But I didn't really dwell on it much, the attraction was just there. It was like a tiny little seed was planted that day.
In the end, he bought the cows, a while later picked up the cows, (cows, cows, cows) and it was a month or so before I saw him again.



Before I go much further into the story, I have to give this important detail.
Before any of this happened, I had prayed that God would give me an attraction to someone before I actually knew that they had an attraction for me. This maybe seems like a strange request. But I was concerned that I would end up being more attracted to the dream of becoming married and having a family then I was actually attracted to the man I was to be in a relationship with. I knew that I would have doubts if this happened, and that is one thing I didn't want... doubts.

So, this I prayed for. And this, God answered perfectly.
If the timing would have been off at all, it wouldn't have been so clear to me. But, as I have learned though experience these past couple of months. God's timing is exact. It is wise. And it is perfect.

Anyway. So a while later, Reuben had come to drop off a bull that he had 'borrowed' the same time he had picked up the cows. 
I noticed the attraction becoming stronger, but still. Didn't mention it, didn't write about it, didn't think that anything would actually happen.


Fast forward to July, the first of July actually.
The Penner family had come to our campsite to play football, hang out, and stay for the fireworks. I found myself feeling happy that he was there. But still, didn't understand it, didn't think to much about it. Kinda just shoved it into the corners of my thoughts.

One camping day, Reuben and his brothers came to the campground to go boating with us. Somehow amidst all of the shuffle of people catching rides on the boats, and people staying behind. We found ourselves alone (well, alone with our neices and nephews :), on the boat docks. I guess I should interject to say that Reuben is actually my sister-in-law Rebecca's brother. So, we have some of the same nieces and nephews. :) Anyway, back to the story, we talked about cows. Because we like to talk about cows. He and his family were actually milking one of my milk cows while we were camping, so we talked about that too.
I remember thinking to myself, "Wow. So this is what it feels like to "like" someone." I honestly had never felt so attracted to some one, ever. And I wrote as much in my journals that day. It really scared me because I didn't know if he felt the same way or if anything would ever actually happen between us.


About a month, and a couple of boat rides, and football games later, Josh comes to me one day and asks the question that sent my whole entire world into the craziest, most amazing roller coaster ride I have ever been on.
"What do you think of Reuben."
The date was August 7th.

From that moment on, I was placed into an intense season of waiting, and went through the journey of learning how to trust.
I had to learn to trust that God would work all things out for our good. That His timing was perfect. That He knew what was best for both of us, and if it was His will, He would work it out.
And it wasn't just myself going through all of this, we were both waiting, and learning, praying and searching.
Reuben helped us out a bit with harvest, so we saw each other often, and every time we were together, the feelings I had for him grew.
I was steadily falling for the cowboy of my dreams.


Then, one day... the waiting was over.
God's will became clear.

On September 17, 2017 we began an official courtship.
These past two weeks have been the best two weeks of my life as I have been privileged to get to spend time with Reuben and get to know him better.
Over the course of these two weeks I have literally (ok, maybe not literally, but it sure feels like it sometimes!) been blown away by all of the prayers that God has answered through this amazing man.
One day I may go into more detail, but for now let me just say that God cares about even the tiniest things, the tiniest hopes, the tiniest dreams.


If there is anything that I want to say through this story is a word to all the people out there who are still in the process of waiting.
Don't ever settle.
Don't be afraid that God won't hear your prayers, or that He wouldn't care about the little things. Reuben and I have mentioned over and over, as we marvel at God's goodness, that He knows how to give His children good gifts. (Matthew 7:11)
Keep serving Him, keep seeking Him, and staying in the center of His will, but also remember to not fear the asking. Don't be afraid to pray for the things that you desire to have. Don't settle for less than His best. One day, He will reward your faithfulness and bless the socks off of you. You will be blown away by His grace, and kindness.

Anyway, that is about all I have to say. :)
I'm so excited for what God is doing in mine and Reuben's lives, and I'm also excited to bring you all along on our journey.
Until next time!

7 comments:

abi_nks said...

So happy for you !
God will bless you !
Abi :)

Rita Abrams said...

Very well said Jenn! I'm am very excited for you both of you!

Bekah Marie said...

You know how much I love this!!!... almost as much as I do you❤️ So so SO HAPPY FOR YOU TWO!!!

McKenzie Elizabeth said...

This post literally made my day! Girl, God is sooo good! You guys look so cute together and I can't wait to see your story unfold.

Unknown said...

This is amazing, Jen!
Thank you so much for telling your story as it is a strong encouragement to me as I am now in that season of waiting. <3 Your patience and the fact that you spell out your weaknesses here on the internet, the biggest spot for criticism, is amazing. You are standing for something different, but something that gives an even greater reward. I see that every time I look at my sister and her husband.

Keep on telling your story, Jen! I look forward to seeing how God works!

Madeline M.-

Anonymous said...

Oh Jen! I'm so happy for you!! It was so good to see the two of you together! It made me so happy! :) Enjoy this time of your life, it's a beautiful thing!

Lots of love,
Raechelle

Godly-Young-Widow said...

Wow; what a story! The last time I saw your post that said "life update" I had a feeling it was something like this......I'm so happy for you! I will pray for God's continued guidance for you both, in every step